Thursday, April 03, 2008

Question from a Jen's Corner Reader

Hi Jen,
I just recently (last week) bought the bosu and have been doing the boxer crunch a lot. I am able to do about 50 three times a week, but lately I've been doing less so I can do a different kind of boxer crunch where I lift one of my knees and crunch at the same time. I started using the bosu about a month ago at where I workout.

My question is what is the number of boxer cruches (reps) I should do and how many sets or Should I do them all at once? I workout 5 times a week.

Thank you,
Steve

______________________

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your email! I’m glad you have been enjoying the Boxer Crunch!

To answer your question, I would suggest working the Boxer Crunch into 3 of your 5 workouts. I like to do my workouts in a circuit-style format so I usually end up doing about 3 sets of 20 reps, performing one set at the end of each block of exercises I do. For example, after a warm-up, I usually do a lower body exercise, an upper body exercise, a trunk exercise and then a balance or cardio drill and then I repeat the block 2-4 times depending on the day. Some days I might use the Boxer Crunch as my trunk exercise in all 2-4 sets OR some days, I might use it in only 1 set. The days I use it in every set, I usually do about 20-30 reps each time. The days I use it in 1 set, I would probably do as many as I could while maintaining good form.

I think the key to choosing how many reps of any exercise you do should be how well you are able to maintain excellent form. It’s really up to you how often you decide to add the Boxer Crunch to your workout. If it’s an exercise that you love and look forward to, don’t hesitate to do it as often as you like!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Happy BOSU-ing,
JEN

No comments: