Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Volunteering


I strongly believe in volunteering.

Giving back to the community through volunteer work is one way I have found to maintain balance in my life. We have all been blessed in different ways and I believe that a great way to fully appreciate those blessings is by sharing what we have with others. I'm not trying to sound self-righteous or pat myself on the back but I do think that what goes around, comes around and sometimes the most rewarding, fulfilling work doesn't come with a paycheck.

What's great about volunteering is the number and variety of projects you have to choose from. You can volunteer for a day or up to a year (depending on the program) and can volunteer your time, if you have it, or your support through donations. I make it a point each year to choose at least one volunteer project to commit to. In the past, I have taught Sunday School, mentored foreign exchange students, and donated gifts to Thanksgiving and Christmas charities.

This year, I decided to volunteer with a tutoring program called "Everyone A Reader". I go to a local elementary school once a week for an hour and a half and read books with four first graders. I see the same four kids every week so we are able to get to know each other and I can really help them progress in their reading skills. The kids who are assigned to tutors are kids who would benefit from the extra one-on-one attention and it is said that their reading skills improve by a couple of levels by the end of the year. In only a couple of months, I have seen each of them advance by 4-5 reading levels and have seen their confidence and interest in reading increase.

What I've really noticed, though, is the bond and relationship we've created through our time together. Some days, the kids are more interested in talking to me than they are in reading so I like to let them tell me stories and share what's on their mind. What's interesting is that they enjoy reading the books more now that we have established a relationship.

At first, I was worried about all of the chatting, concerned that we weren't reading the books and staying on task. What I eventually realized is that developing a bond and a connection with an adult is part of what the tutoring program is all about and is what actually makes learning for these kids easier, more interesting and more engaging.

But isn't that true for all things in life? That interaction, connection and relationships with other people make work and life experiences more meaningful and rich? It's as the saying goes that "two heads are better than one" because when there are two heads, there are also two hearts and when hearts connect, wonderful things happen.

And that's what volunteer programs are all about - reaching out to other people with your heart to hopefully connect with theirs; giving people hope, inspiration and encouragement, free of charge. Creating a relationship through volunteer work is one of the most genuine bonds you can make because your participation is, of course, totally voluntary. And your reward is the smile it puts on your face, the love it puts in your heart, and the satisfaction of experiencing the strength and power of human relationships.

What organizations have you volunteered with? I'm always looking for new ones to try!

No comments: