Monday, May 22, 2006

Exercising on the Road


David and I just got back from a weekend business trip in Mammoth Lakes, CA and we had a great time. David travels a lot more than I do these days but we both usually end up flying or driving somewhere for business or vacation about once a month. However, between sedentary travel time, eating in restaurants, and staying in hotels or different cities, traveling has the potential to wreck havoc on any fitness/exercise routine!

I work hard to stay in shape at home so I don't like to let it all go when I travel. Travel and vacations are a great break from everyday routines but that doesn't mean that all of your hard work has to go to waste. It is possible to stay fit and watch what you eat while still enjoying yourself on vacation. All it takes is a little extra planning and a continued commitment to your health. Here's how I easily (and enjoyably!) fit exercise into our trips... And keep myself from gaining weight!

For starters, long lay-overs in an airport can be a major drag! On our way to China last fall, we had to take three different flights, two of which had 4-5 hour lay-overs in between. Determined to stay in shape on my vacation, I decided to make the most of my time in the airport and devise a workout routine. Every hour (on the hour), I did a set of 20 squats or lunges, 10 push-ups and 10 triceps dips off of the chairs. Then I walked around the airport terminal for 10-15 minutes. By the time we boarded our plane, I had done a total of 100 squats or lunges, 50 push-ups, 50 triceps dips and had walked for about an hour! It was a great workout, a great use of my time and kept me feeling healthy and strong amidst a full day of traveling on an airplane! I didn't feel nearly as tired, bloated or swollen as I have after flights in which I don't exercise!

Whenever we stay in hotels, I continue to workout every morning before breakfast. After checking in, I make sure to find the fitness center to see what type of equipment I have to work with. Some hotels have much nicer facilities than others. If they have good equipment to use, I usually plan to workout there. If not, I plan on running outside and I work out in our room.

David always brings a BOSU Balance Trainer with us when we travel (we rarely leave home without one... Even when we're out of the country!) so luckily we have that to workout with in our room. I like to do 4 sets of 10 push-ups followed by 25 Get Down / Get Ups with the Balance Trainer and run outside for 30-60 minutes. It might sound like a lot, but the exercise I do keeps me feeling great throughout our trip! Plus, running is one of my favorite ways to see a new place that I am visiting.

My favorite memory of our trip to China was the early morning run I did around the West Lake in Hangzhou. It was hot and humid, the sun was just rising, and hundreds of Chinese men and women were all around the lake doing their own version of early morning exercise - Tai Chi and ballroom dancing! It was incredible to see and be a part of and it is also something that I wouldn't have experienced had I not been out for an early morning run! (As an aside, I would like to mention that not all cities are safe enough for a foreign visitor to run alone in. It is important that you familiarize yourself with the area and local customs before you go out for a run to ensure your safety. Make sure you have a street map and/or the address of your hotel and be sure to let someone else know where you are going and when you plan to be back.)

I did the same thing this weekend while we were in Mammoth. Because we were gone for the weekend, I missed my Saturday morning long run with my running group - but, I didn't let that stop me from training! Knowing that the group was scheduled to run 14 miles, I asked our friends to show me some trails that I could run for that distance. They did and while our group went skiing (I am not a skier!), I went out for an amazing run along a rushing creek, surrounded by the majesty of the Sierra Nevada mountains! The run was breathtaking and a refreshing change from my typical running routes at home.

Maintaining my workouts throughout our vacations make the trips so much more enjoyable for me. They kept me feeling invigorated and strong and also allow me to indulge a little bit more in the local cuisine without the guilt!

Our workouts also tend to be an inspiration to the people we are traveling with. On our trip to China, a number of people commented on our workouts in the airport, saying that they felt they should be doing the same, and a few others told me how we inspired them to embark on a healthier fitness/lifestyle program upon returning back home!

To me, that's what it is all about! It can be very inspiring to see people practicing what they preach, truly embodying the spirit of what they believe. I believe in health and fitness as a lifestyle, not just something to do 3-4 days a week. As modern convenience and technology slow our bodies down, it is imperative that we commit ourselves to keeping our bodies fit and active all of the time. What's good for the body is good for the mind is good for the soul!

I also believe that consistency is one of the keys to living a balanced lifestyle. Consistency of habits, character, and judgment will turn you into a solid, unwavering person. It is important for us to understand and believe in who we are as people and consistency of positive lifestyle habits can only fortify our spirit and make us stronger individuals.

Sometimes it is hard to stay consistent, especially when we are interacting with people who's habits and values may be different than ours. But that doesn't mean that we have to compromise ourselves or who we are in any given situation.

Just remember, it's OK to Be Different.

Be Different - Be Yourself.

No comments: