Monday, May 01, 2006

Making the Impossible Possible


I'm starting to believe that "impossible" is merely a state of mind. A state of mind so powerful that it can actually prevent us from attempting to accomplish feats or goals that for one reason or another seem to be insurmountable.

What if we could, instead, train ourselves to believe that absolutely anything is possible? What would we be able to accomplish, how far would we be able to grow?

I am in the final stages of training for my first marathon. I have run about a dozen half marathons but this will be my first full one - a training feat I have avoided for fear of attempting the distance. I ran 20-miles for the first time this weekend with my training group and yes, I have lived to tell about it! The hardest part of distance running or endurance training is the mental challenges that arise. I was so nervous considering the pure THOUGHT of running 20 miles that my heart practically pounded out of my chest in anticipation of the distance for the first 5 miles or so! I finally calmed down once I realized that my pace was sustainable and I just had to keep going.

I would never suggest that anyone should decide to roll out of bed and run 20 miles one day. I have spent 5 months building up to this distance (and even then it was still intimidating!) but I've learned that with preparation and practice, anything can be possible.

Of course, it is all relative. An 80-year old woman who breathes with the help of an oxygen tank probably wouldn't be able to train for and run a marathon. However, there certainly is something seemingly "impossible" for her that she would be able to train for. Maybe she could put her focus and intention toward being able to breathe freely, independent of an O2 tank.

We can all find something in our life that to us seems impossible but with proper training, focus and DESIRE, we can make that thing possible. I am climbing Mt. Whitney this summer with a team in support of a young man recovering from a brain tumor he had 5 years ago. A year ago, Zac had to walk using two crutches but through extensive physical training (much of which he has done with my husband, David), he can now walk at times without his crutches and with our help, will climb the State's highest peak in July. Zac wrote about is experience with making the impossible possible on his web blog - www.zacyork.blogspot.com.

In developing his exercise training philosophy, David has focused a lot of his exercise progressions on helping people learn to do things they couldn't do before. He strives to create ways to make "impossible" movement and exercise feats possible for anyone and everyone to learn. He has taught me how to SAFELY and effectively jump onto his weighted stability ball (the BOSU DSL Trainer) from standing on top of a BOSU Balance Trainer! That is certainly something I would have thought to be impossible and wouldn't have wanted to try on my own - but now it is something that I love to do!

The irony of actually doing what we once considered to be "impossible", is how much we love to do it after we've successfully done it the first time! It's because our minds decide what is "impossible" for us or not. We are far more capable of many more things than our minds would have us believe. Sometimes, we need to take a break from ourselves to discover what is truly possible in our lives. Sometimes we need to push ourselves down paths which our head tells us to avoid. Sometimes we need to remember that with the appropriate level of DESIRE and COMITTMENT, nothing in life is out of reach.

I'm not saying that the road won't be difficult at times. Training for this marathon is physically, one of the hardest things I've ever done but now I know that I can do it and my body will be fine - if only just a little uncomfortable for a while. I've found that I'd rather be a little bit sore or uncomfortable in my body than soft in my mind.

Challenging yourself only strengthens and fortifies your mind and puts you in a better position to make more impossible things in life possible. Find a way to prove to yourself that you truly are capable of anything.

No comments: