Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Tap Into Your JEN-ERGY

Every week, David teaches a BOSU exercise class at the local JCC (Jewish Community Center) and I always go with him to get a great workout.

David always leads the class but often uses me to demonstrate or keep the pace of certain exercises so that he can walk around the room and spot or correct people's form. I stand up in front so that the ladies can follow me if they need to and I always work hard because I love getting a good workout, especially on the BOSU ball!

Today's class was particularly full so when people came in late, David encouraged them to fill in spaces on the other side of the room. However, regular group exercise attendees typically end up staking out a spot in the room where they always like to stand and after a while, that spot becomes "theirs". Working out anywhere else in the room, to them, ends up feeling uncomfortable and unfamiliar so they will fight to stand in their "spot" in the room if need be!

One of our class "regulars" came in late so her spot in the room was crowded by other people. When David suggested that she move to the other side of the room, she started to go but then decided that she wanted to stay in her "spot" and would squeeze herself in anyway.

After class, she came over to tell us why she didn't want to move. She said that the reason why she likes to stay on the left side of the room is because that is when she can tap into what she calls the "Jen-ergy". My "spot" in the room is right up in front, almost dead center, and this particular lady always places herself just to my left. She said that she can't watch me from the other side so she stays to the left because she really feeds off of my energy during our workouts.

I was flattered and loved the reference to what she calls "Jen-ergy"!

So what exactly is this "Jen-ergy"? I believe that it is the motivation, inspiration and drive that is transmitted when people are passionately engaged in what they are doing. I love to exercise and I love taking David's class. Therefore, I work very hard when I am there and am very focused on the execution of each exercise. For that hour, my mind is connected with my body and when the two are in synch, a very special and powerful energy is produced.

"Jen-ergy" is simply a by-product of what David calls the "BOSU Effect" - the balancing and harmonizing effect that BOSU training has on the brain and the connection that it makes with the body. To read more about it, check out David's blogs: www.bosufitness.com/blogg

What's great about "Jen-ergy" is that anyone and everyone can tap into it! Engaging in exercise that stimulates and challenges your mind is one way to do it. What it requires is mindful attention to and connection with what you are doing. You probably won't feel "Jen-ergized" by reading a magazine while pedaling a bike. But you will start to feel it by focusing your mind on your breath, your body movement and skill development. Adding BOSU training tools to the mix will then take you to the next level!

So give it a try... Tap into your "Jen-ergy" this week and see how you feel. If you notice a difference, please let me know!

No comments: