Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Stagnation Creating Dis-Ease

stag*nate

* to cease to run or flow
* to stop developing, growing, progressing, or advancing

In Oriental Medicine, stagnation (of blood or chi/energy) is one of the main causes of disease (or dis-ease, as I prefer to think of it) in the body. When blood or energy cease to flow, the body's systems simply aren't able to function properly.

Physical and mental functioning can both be affected. Depression, for example, is one mental condition that occurs when the "stagnation of Chi disrupts the free flow of energy throughout the body and adversely affects the body's ability to maintain emotional harmony".

Depression and its effects are very real. I have been experiencing it myself as my post-partum hormones continue to fluctuate, sending me on an emotional roller coaster! Part of what I experience is a deep anger or frustration and a feeling that I am "stuck" in life, or at least in that particular moment; similar to a feeling of stagnation.

Most of the time, I have to just ride it out (and hope that I don't drive my husband too insane!) but the strategies that work the best in helping to improve my mood are ones that get the blood and chi CIRCULATING in my body again.

Deep breathing is one of the easiest ways to jump-start that circulation and exercise stimulates the circulation of oxygen to the brain and the release of energetic neurotransmitters which can improve your mood.

Practicing yoga (where deep breathing, or pranayama, is an essential component), running, and certain balance work on the BOSU Ball all help to restore a sense of mental clarity and peace because they all integrate physical movement with breath which has a harmonizing affect on the brain.

It is easy to see why so many people feel better after an exercise session. Someone once told me that sometimes, I am a completely different person after a run than I was before I went out. Some people might view that as a symptom of an "exercise addiction". I prefer to see it as a very healthy coping strategy. I'd rather see my mood improve after a run as opposed to after downing 4 beers!

When I'm feeling stuck or stagnate in life, the best thing I can do is to get moving. If I keep putting one foot in front of the other, I know I won't be stuck for too long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, so if I'm the "crazy lone poster", so be it. But, I do just love your blog. It's funny how new mom's lives seem to run so parallel sometimes.

I definitely use the deep breathing technique -- almost daily to calm me down before going ballistic on one of my kids. I tell my classes too, that it's great when you can't sleep or need to de-stress.

I totally understand feeling stagnate too, your personal life is just a little "on hold" when you have toddlers. It seems like there's never any "down time" or "me time". And I agree that there's nothing better for it than exercising. I am currently a stay-at home mom with a two and three-year old and exercise is truly my sanity. And teaching a few Group Ex classes lets me use my brain and creativity a little bit too.

Glad to see you're back in action blogging away!
~ Shannon