Thursday, November 08, 2007

AM Cardio

I strongly believe in the benefits of doing aerobic exercise first thing in the morning. It wakes me up, gets my blood flowing and adds a serious jump-start to my day. It's also what I tend to do if I am trying to lose a little weight. Aerobic activity before breakfast can boost your metabolism and burn stored fat because your glucose stores have yet to be replenished if you exercise before you've "broken-your-fast".

But aside from that, I appreciate the discipline it adds to my life. I have been a runner for 16 (!) years and when I wake up first thing in the morning to run, I feel as if I am accomplishing something, no matter what else happens the rest of the day. I know that for a part of my day, I have put myself first and done something that is good for my body and for my mind.

Rhythmic aerobic activity (like running, walking, swimming, cycling, hiking, etc.) also brings balance and harmony to the hemispheres of the brain, allowing you to think more clearly and feel energized (i.e., the "runners high"). I do some of my best thinking while running, walking, swimming or hiking. It is a mental release that I cherish and crave. I also love the solitude of the outdoors first thing in the morning. It is my opportunity to experience the world without as much of the commotion that the rest of the day brings.

I find that when I don't exercise first thing in the morning, something feels "off". I don't feel quite as put together or organized and if I really slack off and get out of the habit for a period of time, I find discipline in other areas of my life to be lacking. I think that the more disciplined we are, the more we can accomplish. A lot of people shy away from the idea of discipline as adults, remembering back to the more punative discipline of childhood. But I see discipline as a great way to get things done efficiently. I also think that it build character and can help define part of our purpose in life.

Exercise is not the only discipline I try to have in my life... it's just the one that I'm currently sticking to! I'm still working on diet and spirituality but haven't decided yet what I want them to look like. One step at a time - for now, I'm happy taking that step first thing in the morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great blog! Definitely inspires one to fitness! I am a fairly new group fitness instructor (including teaching a BOSU class). You've shared a lot of great information here -- I hope to read lots more! Thanks~

Jen Weck said...

Hi Shannon,
Thanks and welcome to Jen's Corner! I hope you continue to visit and find the information you're looking for here! Feedback is always welcome! Congrats on joining the fitness industry. I hope you find it to be a rewarding career.
Best, JEN