Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Frustrating Balance

I have to wonder why it is that sometimes it can be so hard to reach our goals?

I am not one to sit in an uncomfortable or unsatisfying situation for long... whenever something starts to feel wrong, I like to change it to make it feel right.

I am also usually one who is capable of achieving my goals. A funny story... after a night out with my husband back when we were dating, apparently I let him know that "I always get what I want." (Not too long after that, we were engaged and then married!)

If I want to run a marathon, I train for it and I run. If I want to get a new job, I carefully consider what I'd like to do next and I make the change. If I want to learn a new skill, I find a class to take and I sign up.

So why is it that I say that I would like to lose the last of my baby weight but it feels like I'm not making it happen?

Losing weight has always been one of the hardest things for me to do. I've succeeded at it but not without a lot of work and great challenge. Fortunately, I love working out so I have that working in my favor. The problem, perhaps, is that I also enjoy certain culinary/dietary indulgences that have been hard for me to sacrifice.

So that's it... I suppose it's a question of which is more important to me right now. Weighing 10 lbs. less or enjoying some red wine and chocolate at night with my husband? Right now, the wine and chocolate are winning but I'm not sure how to explain that to the part of me that feels like a failure because I know that by indulging, I'm not getting closer to reaching my goal.

You could say "It's a balance", which it is, but I still haven't let go of the desire to reach that particular goal. So for now, it's a frustrating balance. But isn't this what my journey is all about - finding my balance? I believe that we change (and hopefully grow) as we age so how much of it is about trying to hold on to who we once were?

I think lots of women face this issue as we age, particularly after we've had babies and our bodies have changed. It's all a part of the maturation process - figuring out who we are and who we want to be as life moves on.

I haven't quite decided yet - I'm still thinking about it. For now, I know that I am still enjoying my wine and my chocolate, trying to figure out how to do that AND still reach my goal. (Wouldn't that be great?!) Or, maybe it's time to focus on a new goal... for the time being.

3 comments:

leslie said...

There are lots of things that factor into post-pregnancy weight loss. Are you still nursing? If so, stop right there! Body hangs onto more fluid and fat to protect the baby's food supply.

If not, I've always heard it takes up to a year to go back to pre-pregnancy condition. So you're kinda ahead of the curve there, you know? And wine and dark chocolate, enjoyed with a great husband -- I can see why you wouldn't want to change that, at least for now!

I'm in my late 40s, and my road has definitely gotten narrower. So I don't indulge as often or for as long as I used to. But those women who say that having a baby means you can never have your body back? Bull$*&#!

Anonymous said...

So glad to see new posts. (I'm using this blog as a little motivational tool for myself, so thank you!) As a fairly new mom, I would say to give youself a break and go for the chocolate and wine, if you're only 10 lbs off track with a 6 month old, you are doing incredibly well. I believe "they" say to give yourself one year to get back to "normal". I have a two and three year old and I'm actually now in better shape than before I was pregnant, so it happens, it's just a slow process and your body is definitely different and takes a while to get used to what's different. (Not that you didn't know all of that already, but sometimes it's comforting to hear from other new moms. Sometimes no one else understands the daily joys and struggles like another new mom.) Thanks again for the great blog ~

Jen Weck said...

Wow - thanks for the great comments and support, ladies! Did I forget to mention that I also tend to be a little, how do "they" say it, "hard on myself"? So much is changing as I am getting older and as much as I enjoy it, I must admit that mentally, it's a challenge. I very much look forward to turning 30 next month because I love the challenge of growing and expanding into the wisdom that comes with age!