Friday, November 16, 2007

Want to teach BOSU?

I thought I would offer a few suggestions to any fitness professionals who may be interested in starting to teach a BOSU exercise class.

BOSU classes in Group Exercise are great fun and can offer a lot of variety. Consider what type or style of BOSU class you would like to teach. Personally, I like teaching muscle conditioning classes so my BOSU workouts typically start with a rhythmic warm-up to get people moving and the blood flowing but then I move into sets of strength exercises and drills, throwing in bits and pieces of more aerobic work here and there.

Another thing I love to do is to set up a circuit in the room with about 8-12 stations that the class cycles through. Each station provides a different challenge that usually flows by muscle group. My classes also love it when I line the BOSU Balls up for "the gauntlet", allowing them to run through various drills from one BOSU Ball to the next.

The BOSU Ball is also a great complement to a yoga or Pilates workout! I like to practice yoga with a BOSU Ball nearby so that I can use it to practice poses and challenge my balance even more!

A great teaching tool for new BOSU Instructors to use is the BOSU Complete Workout System. It offers a format in which you can easily design BOSU classes and keep each workout fresh and new. You can find out more about BOSU Complete by visiting: (http://www.bosupro.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=bosupro/itemdetl.html?item=16900-8)

So, just a few ideas for those of you who'd like to get started. Any instructors out there who would like to share some of their favorite or most innovative BOSU GEX class formats?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I usually do straight cardio for at least a half hour, then strength & core the final half hour. Nothing really innovative as people are still a little uncomfortable with anything too challenging. We also do the "gauntlet" in our class - very fun and challenging! Sometimes we'll do circuits. If you get a chance, I'd love to see your cicuit workout. We also use the Complete Workout System - very, very helpful for prepping for classes - makes my job A LOT easier. Love the videos too! You all have done an excellent job of putting out a lot of great material - thank you!
The Biggest Loser has been showing a lot of exercises with the Balance Trainer lately - very cool!